Zhoug spice mix – a traditional Spice blend used in the Zhoug chilli paste.
This chilli paste is an essential condiment in Yamenet and Israeli cooking. Spice Library’s Spices Zhoug spice mixed with fresh green chillies, garden herbs, olive oil and lemon juice is the main ingredient used with falafel and pita bread. The main ingredients of this blend are Cumin Seeds, Cardamom and Cloves.
Zhoug Spice Mix Serving Suggestions
Recipe below on how to make chilli paste
- 1 bunch of coriander (leaves and stem) rinsed thoroughly and roughly chopped
- 1/4 bunch of flat leaf parsley (remove hard stalk) and roughly chopped
- 2 stem of fresh mint leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 2 hot green chilli roughly chopped. (double the quantity if the chilli is not hot enough)
- 1/4 tsp of sugar to adjust the heat and remove bitterness of spice mix
- 1/4 tsp cooking salt
- 1 large clove of garlic – roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
Blend all the above ingredients in a smaller food processes. Blitz to create a course paste. Serve with warm pita bread, falafel and freshly chopped tomato topped with hummus. Also a perfect spread for middle eastern kebabs.
This paste can be stored in air-tight container for up to 2-3 weeks.
For the latest and upcoming products and promotions – stay tuned at Spice Library Instagram Page.