Channa Masala Spice is our signature vegan spice blend used for the popular Indian Chickpea curry.
the Spice Library’s Spices Channa Masala is combing the flavour of curry powder, garam masala and the Spice Library’s twist to complement the creamy tomato sauce of this vegeterian dish.
This blend is mild and aromatic. Suitable for any legume/Dhal curries, vegetarian dishes such as eggplant and Green beans curry.
Channa Masala Serving Suggestions:
A delicous recipe for Chickpea Curry.
- Soak 220g of chickpeas overnight. Drain, rinse and place in a pot with 1 clove of garlic, cover with water. Bring to boil & Simmer for 45 minutes or until soft. Drain from the pot while keeping 1/2 cup of the liquid as your stock.
- Heat 4 tbsp Persian Ghee/oil in a saucepan. Then add 2 finely chopped onions, 2 cloves of garlic and 1 tsp finely chopped ginger. Add chilli if desired.
- Cook until the mixture is translucent.
- Add 1 tbsp of Channa Masala blend, saute for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Then add 400g of freshly chopped Roma Tomato (or in tin) and 1 Tbsp tomato paste. Mix well.
- Return the chickpea stock to the pot along with 1 cup of hot water and another tablespoon of Channa Masala blend.
- Bring to boil for 3-5 minutes. Then transfer the cooked chickpeas to the saucepan.
- Season well and cook on low heat for at least 30 minutes until the mixture is thickened.
- Optional: 10 minutes prior to turning off the heat, add 2 tbsp of cream.
Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and finely sliced shallots/chillies and serve on Persian Cumin rice.
- Curry powder
- Garam masala
- Cardamom Pods