the Spice Library’s Spices Panch Phoron is a hearty and flavorsome Bengali spice blend suitable for vegetarian dishes such as potato curries & dhal.
Panch Phoron is the vegetarian/vegan foodies must have spice blends.
Panch Phoron cooking suggestion
Bengali Vegetarian Curry
- 300g potatoes peeled & boiled for 10 minutes
- 300g cauliflower – cut into small florets
- 1 Onions – diced
- ½ tsp Garlic – minced
- ½ tsp Ginger – minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes – seeds removed and diced
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 1 red chilli chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp Panch Phoron
- 3 Tbsp Persian Ghee
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat the ghee in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Add curry leaves and panch phoron and saute until the spices start to crackle.
- Now add onion with a pinch of salt – saute for a minute. Add chilli, garlic & ginger, stir well with the spices and onion. Cool for 3-4 minutes without browning.
- Add potatoes followed by cauliflower. Saute for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add tomato along with 4 tbsp of water, lemon juice, stir, cover and then simmer on low heat for further 10-15 minutes until cooked. Adjust seasoning and lemon juice. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve in the authentic Indian Copper bowl.