Pumpkin Turmeric Pilaf.
Pumpkin Turmeric Pilaf – A Persian Pilaf recipe. A quick and easy vegetarian recipe using fresh pumpkin, turmeric and cumin seeds.
Combination of Persian Ghee and Turmeric powder with Cumin seeds accentuate the flavours of pumpkin in this dish.
Pumpkin Turmeric Pilaf can be served with any curries of your liking.
200g Persian Basmati Rice – washed
200g butternut pumpkin – peeled and diced into 3cm cubes
2tbsp Persian Ghee
2 tbsp olive oil
1tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 cups water
2 tsp cooking salt
- In a non-stick pot on medium heat, add ghee and oil
- Once the oil is hot enough, add washed rice. Stir gently until all grains are coated with oil. sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add diced pumpkin to the rice and fold through so that it is evenly distributed. Saute for further 3 minutes
- Add Turmeric powder, Cumin Seeds and salt. Stir through to combine well.
- Now add water, bring to rapid boil. Once about 80% of water is absorbed, cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
Add more ghee at the end and mix through to fluff the Pumpkin Turmeric Pliaf (rice).