Persian Sweet Rice (Persian Pilaf)
Persian Jeweled Pilaf
Persian Sweet Rice.
Persian sweet recipe comes with some very sweet childhood memories for me. A day like today – cool and rainy autumn day reminds of the times my mother was preparing this dish in her Persian kitchen.
Persian Sweet rice celebrates the seasonal vegetables; Carrot & Cabbage, along with other Persian delicacies such as Saffron, Green Raisin, Orange Peel and Pistachios.
– 500g white cabbage (shredded)
– 500g carrots (grated)
– 150g natural sultanas
– 1tsp turmeric powder
– 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
– 1/2 tsp cumin seeds powder
– 1/4 tsp allspice powder
– 1tsp black pepper – freshly ground
– 2 flat tbsp of Advieh
– 2 cassia stick
– pinch of saffron (brewed)
– 12 slivered orange peels (soaked in 3tbsp warm water and 1tbsp sugar)
– 1 tbsp garlic & ginger – crushed
– 350g Rice
-250g Lamb/beef mince
– 50g Slivered Almonds
– 50g Persian Slivered Pistachios
– 100g Persian green raisin
– 60g butter
1. In a pot rinse & drain rice until the water runs clear. Then soak in 4 cups of warm water with 1 tbsp of cooking salt.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Fry the onion until slightly golden. For golden onion, see the notes on Tafting method. Add garlic and ginger and saute until soft and coloured.
4. Now add lamb mince and once browned add all the ground spices, Advieh and cassia. Saute until fragrant. Then add the shredded cabbage & grated carrots. Combine all the ingredients well with 2 tbsp of warm water. Cover the saucepan to wilt the vegetables. Stir every a few minutes. Once the vegetables are soft and reduced in volume – remove the lid and saute for further 10 minutes.
5. Add the natural sultana to the above mixture. Then remove the saucepan from the heat. Set aside.
6. Meanwhile, boil the rice briskly for 10-15mins stirring occasionally. Bite a few grains; if the rice feels slightly soft, it is ready to be drained into a colander. Then rinse with cool water. Return half of the rice to the pot along with half of the brewed saffron (as well as its residues) and half of the candied orange peel. Mix Well. Then add the meat & vegetable mixture in small batches to the rice and combine well. Repeat this step with the remaining rice. Cover the pot and cook on high heat for 5 minutes, then cook on low heat for 1 hour.
7. When the rice is ready – heat the butter in a saucepan. Add slivered almonds and saute for 2-3 minutes followed by the slivered pistachio and green raisin. Set this mixture aside.
8. Serve the rice on a serving platter and then decorate the nut & fruit mixture on top of the rice. Serve with fresh herbs and natural yoghurt.
|Persian Ghee & Sour cream Pastry||Goan Pork Curry|
|Persian Ghee & Sour cream Pastry|
|Goan Pork Curry|