Smoked Aubergine with Garlic & Tomato – also known as Mirza Ghasemi.
Mirza Ghasemi is a delicious vegetarian dish from north of Iran celebrating the flavors of aubergine (eggplant) and garlic. This dish is served as a side or an appetizer often served with warm pita bread and fresh garden herbs.
– 2 large aubergines – smoked
– 1 bulb garlic cloves peeled and minced
– 150g natural sultanas
– 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
– 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
– 1 tsp of Advieh
– 3 large Roma tomatoes – remove the skin and dice into small pieces
– 3 happy eggs – lightly beaten
-1/3 cup of vegetable oil/olive oil
– Salt to season
1. To smoke the aubergines blister them whole over an open flame until blackened and the flesh has softened right through to the center. Alternatively, can bake them whole in preheated oven at 200C for about 30-40 minutes. 3. Heat oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Once cooked, rest aside until cooled.
2. Then remove the skin but reserving the gelatinous liquid excreted from the aubergines and mash or slice into small pieces.
3. In the meanwhile, heat oil in a non-stick shallow pot. Then add minced garlic and fry until lightly browned whilst stirring continuously.
4. Add ground spices and pinch of salt and saute for another 2-3 minutes followed by mashed smoked aubergines. Saute and cook for further 15-20 minutes stirring thoroughly.
5. Add diced tomato and cook for further 15 minutes until soft. Combine thoroughly. Then make several wells in the mixture and pour in the beaten eggs. Avoid stirring the eggs until cooked and solidified. Then mix through.
6. Cook for further 3-5 minutes and adjust the seasoning.
Serve with fresh garden herbs such as mint, basil, coriander and rocket along with warm pita bread or Za’atar Turkish bread.